Monday, June 3, 2013

Necessary Formalities, Bear With Me: Kylie Wojciechowski

If I've learned anything in life, it's that introductions are necessary. As I've gone along in life, I've had to begin many new journeys. And, with the start of each new journey, I've had to, unfortunately, introduce myself. No matter how much I wish that we could just skip all the awkward small-talk and forced pleasantries, and fast-forward to being absolute best friends, we can't. Introductions are necessary because they are the formal basis on which all the subsequent closeness and weirdness are based.

So, hi. My name is Kylie Wojciechowski and I don't expect you to be able to pronounce that last name. I'm currently a sophomore here in the great ol' Valley of Saginaw State. I came here with high hopes of medical school and being referred to as Doctor. After my introductory biology class, I lost any and all ambition of achieving those hopes. So, then, rather desperately, I found my niche in writing. By the will of some divine power, I was hired in as a tutor at the SVSU Writing Center during my second semester and here we are now.

Writing is a touchy subject for me, however. Growing up, I was a little "out there" and didn't have many friends, so I turned to books and words and knowledge and language to be my confidants. With that, I still find writing to be an extremely personal and soul-baring act, one that requires great courage. I know this all sounds cheesy, but hear me out. Every day that I punch into the Writing Center, I am always in awe of the bravery of the students who want MY help. They're giving me their soul - and telling me that they want MY help fixing it. That puts a lot of pressure on me, but that's all right. I thrive under it!

So, I guess, there I am. There's not much to me. I have a long last name. I'm not going to be a medical doctor. I like writing. I'm in love with knowledge and the pursuit of it. I was (and still am) a little weird. And I'll help you fix your soul if you want me to.