Thursday, April 5, 2018

Tutor of the Week: Yi Hua Tsai

Our next Tutor of the Week is Yi Hua Tsai, a graduating senior with a dual master degree program in Teaching and Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language. 

Yi Hua with President Bachand
Here is what Yi Hua had to say about her work in the Writing Center: 

"This is my second semester working at the WC. I always have passions for teaching. As an international tutor, I sometimes need to work harder in order to keep up with other tutors, but I absolutely enjoy working at the WC! I might not be a perfect tutor, but I always try my best to help the students. For me, tutoring American students English writing is challenging, yet very rewarding. Whenever I see students learn something from me, the sense of the achievement is always beyond any description. Although I haven't been as involved in the conferences the other Writing Center tutors attend and the community writing centers, I do my best to help the Center whenever I can."

Yi Hua is also very engaged outside of the Writing Center:

"Outside of the Center, I work as a Mandarin teacher, teaching and promoting Chinese Language and culture to SVSU students and the people in this area. I have lived and worked in different countries before, but working at the Writing Center is undoubtedly one of the greatest experiences for me not only because of what I do, but also because of the excellent and supportive supervisors and tutors."

Yi Hua will be graduating this May. After graduation, she plans to take her tutoring experience from the WC, along with her passion for teaching, with her into the 'real world' where she hopes to find a positions that allowed to her capitalize on these skills further.