Thursday, April 12, 2018

Tutor of the Week: Kelsey Hyde

Our next Tutor of the Week is Kelsey Hyde, a senior currently studying a second bachelor's degree in French.

Kelsey at Montmorency Falls during his studies in Québec. 
Kelsey's first bachelor's degree in chemical physics, which he sought at SVSU, was completed in May of 2015, about one year before Kelsey joined the Writing Center team, where he has remained for the last two semesters. Here is what Kelsey had to say about his time at the Writing Center:

"In my short time here at the Writing Center, I have had the opportunity to be a CWC tutor in both Saginaw and Bay City.  Work in both of these communities helped to inform my work here on campus, as it gave me my first opportunity to serve as a writing tutor.  This opportunity working in the CWCs not only allowed me to get my feet wet as a tutor, but it also presented me with the chance to serve as a poetry judge for the inaugural edition of “Still Life”, a collection of poetry from local Tri-Cities writers from varying age groups. Philosophically, what I enjoy about being a writing tutor is the chance to help others become more confident communicators.  I feel that each writer that comes into the center has a unique voice that deserves to be expressed and heard.  I see my position as a tutor as a chance to give writers the tools and encouragement they need to best express this unique voice."

Outside of his work at the writing center, Kelsey enjoys travelling and has been working to solidify plans to continue his education after he graduates in May of this year: "I thoroughly enjoy travelling internationally.  I have studied abroad the past two summers in Québec and France studying French in intensive summer programs.  I hope that I can continue my travels to see more francophone countries in the not too distant future.  After graduating this May and concluding my work at SVSU’s Writing Center, I will start my graduate studies at Eastern Michigan University this fall, where I will be pursuing my MA in speech-language pathology.  Luckily, I will also be able to continue working as a writing tutor this fall, as I have recently accepted a graduate assistantship at the EMU Writing Center."