Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Tutor of the Week: Madison Martin

Our next Tutor of the Week is Madison Martin, an English literature and creative writing major with a theatre minor.

Madison Martin
"When I first heard that there was a Writing Center on campus way back in my freshman year, I knew I wanted to work there. It has been one of the most rewarding decisions I have ever made. The work we do at the Writing Center not only allows us to collaborate with students that we wouldn’t otherwise be able to interact with, but it improves our own writing because we get to experience so many different types and styles, and that’s my favorite thing about being a tutor. Whenever I get to read someone else’s stories and hear their voice coming through in their writing, it reminds me all over again why I applied to work here. In addition to giving me the chance to work with students will diverse backgrounds in many fields, the Writing Center has given me so many more opportunities, whether it’s teaching creative writing to high schoolers, or researching data on our writing center – there are always ways go get involved, which makes it so much more than a job.

"During my time not spent at the Writing Center, I am in English classes (so many English classes) as a literature and creative writing major with a theatre minor. I’m not entirely sure what my future holds for me, but it’ll probably be something involving English and a lot of Netflix. In my free time, I try to force creative ideas out of my head and put them on paper, as well as watch lots of television. Right now I am binge-watching Hell’s Kitchen because Gordon Ramsey yelling is kind of hilarious. For a little more culture in my life, I love musicals. Like… love them. I have been able to see Wicked live twice, as well as The Book of Mormon, Catch Me if You Can, Newsies, and Legally Blonde, and all of them were amazing. I can also be found obsessing over Kate McKinnon because, come on, she’s amazing."