Monday, January 30, 2017

Tutor of the Week: Riley Millard

Our next Tutor of the Week is Riley Millard, a public administration major with minors in history and public history.
Riley Millard

"Being in the political science and history fields has led to many writing assignments that I could imagine most would label as 'boring' or 'absolutely, mind-numbingly terrible' -- which, in all honesty, isn’t too far off from the truth. However, I find myself enjoying these assignments more and more as time goes on. There’s nothing like sitting down with a 250 page transcript of a Senate bill and condensing it into a 10 page brief, or taking three primary sources from 1670 and comparing them for like themes during the Reformation. What started out as a chore, required to endure to make it through my class load, as ended up a passion.

"Granted, working at the Writing Center really helped me work through understanding the importance behind the work that we as individuals do when we write. For myself, it was this understanding that helped me decide exactly what I wanted to do when I graduated. I feel as if writing on a topic, or in a field, really helps you find out exactly what your are going to be encountering in a career. That all being said, my favorite part about working as a writing tutor is when I can sit down with someone that is clearly very passionate about a topic, but not as comfortable with their ability to write on that topic, and help them put ideas onto paper and work through what they want to say. Providing students a service that builds confidence which carries over is one of the best things I have been a part of at SVSU."